FOR NEW AND RETURNING STUDENTS
Letter From the Director (English)
Dear New and Returning MS 51 Student and Families,
As you embark on your journey through middle school, I am writing to inform you about a free after-school enrichment program at MS 51. The Learning Through an Expanded Arts Program (LEAP), The Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and MS 51 have partnered to provide after-school programming from 3pm-6pm, Monday-Friday for the 2018-2019 school year.
The program is designed to enrich your child’s middle school experience, adjust to middle school life, and promote a passion for life-long learning in a safe and structured environment at MS 51 by providing the following:
- Structured Enrichment Classes: Literacy, leadership and/or STEAM courses designed to promote mastery in 21st century skill development in communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking. At LEAP, we call these the 4 C’s. The course offerings are not yet finalized for 2018-2019. Below please find a sample list of course offerings to give you an idea of how the program is structured.
- Structured Homework Time: This is a valuable time for students to complete homework and get academic and/or organizational support from LEAP afterschool staff. (It is important to note LEAP is not a homework help program. All applicants are required to take an enrichment activity. Applicants are not allowed to participate in LEAP solely for Homework Time.)
- Special family events, performances, trips, and fun weekly themes!
- End of the year trip for students who have excellent attendance and have shown commitment to the program for the 2018-2019 school year.
How do I sign up?
- If you are interested in participating in the program, each family must fill out a DYCD Universal Participant Intake: Youth and Adult application. This includes returning students as well.
- On September 6th and 7th and 12th LEAP will be holding mandatory family orientations from 5:00pm-6:00pm. Families interested in the program must attend one of these sessions to hand in their application, and choose classes. Students and families who attend the orientation, hand in a completed application, and commit to 2 or more days will be given first choice priority in course selection and a guaranteed spot in the program.
- For the most current updates, please check the MS 51 website and the MS 51 LEAP website http://leapafterschoolat51.webs.com. If you lose your application, you can also download it from the website.
Returning LEAP students MUST attend an orientation and re-apply to continue participation!
I look forward to meeting you and if you have any questions I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sincerely,Jeneen M. García
Program Director, LEAP at MS51