FOR NEW AND RETURNING STUDENTS
Letter From the Director
Dear MS 51 Student and Families,
As you embark on your journey through middle school I am writing to inform you about a free after-school enrichment program at MS 51. The Learning Through Extended Arts Program (LeAp), The Department of Youth and Community Development and MS 51 have partnered to provide after-school programming from 3-6pm, Monday-Friday for the 2017-2018 school year.
The program is designed to enrich your child’s middle school experience, adjust to middle school life, and promote a passion for life-long learning in a safe and structured environment at MS 51 by providing the following:
- Structured Enrichment Classes: Literacy, leadership and/or STEAM course designed to promote creativity, community and build self-esteem. The course offerings are not yet finalized for 2016-2017. See our current LeAp Schedule for an idea of how the program is structured.
- Structured Homework Time: This is a valuable time for students to complete homework, get academic and organizational support from MS 51 teachers and LeAp tutors.
- Special family events, performances, trips, and fun weekly themes!
How do I sign up?
- If you are interested in participating in the program each family must fill out a Department of Youth and Community Development application. This includes returning students as well. (pages 1-8).
- On September 7th and 8th and 11th Leap will be holding mandatory family orientations from 5:00pm-6:00pm. Families interested in the program must attend one of these sessions to hand in their application, and choose classes. Students and families who attend the orientation and hand in a completed application will be given first choice priority in course selection and guaranteed spot in the program.
- For the most current updates please check the MS 51 website and the http://leapafterschoolat51.webs.com. If you lose your application you can also download it from the website.
- Returning students must re-apply and attend an orientation with a parent/guardian.
I look forward to meeting you and if you have any questions I can be contacted at email [email protected].
Program Director, MS 51 Leap Program